If you teach English to Chinese students, you probably have already installed the WeChat mobile app to communicate with your students or their parents. What started as a mobile messaging app by the Chinese tech giant Tencent now has over 1.2 billion monthly active users from a wide range of age groups.
Here are several reasons you should make much better use of WeChat:
(1) WeChat started as a Chinese Facebook. A WeChat Moment is similar to a Facebook post for people to follow, share, like and comment.
(2) WeChat is ever involving its functions. Its extension into publishing (WeChat official/subscription account), short video sharing (WeChat Channel) and group management (WeChat Group) can be very relevant to online teaching and learning.
(3) WeChat is becoming like Google within its own closed system. At the moment, one can already use WeChat to search content by keywords and hashtags. Search result is displayed by type of medium: video, moments, article, novel, Q&As. This means students can use WeChat as a search engine to find English language content and source online English teachers.
These trends above mean you can use WeChat beyond its chat function. You can use it as a:
- Marketing platform to market your credential and experiences so parents can share your profile among their immediate friends and family circles. You can get your name out that way.
- Service platform to recruit students directly. If you get your profile to the right audience, it means you can reach parents directly and recruit students yourself.
- Community platform to manage a group of students before/during/after your online teaching sessions. You can send and receive assignments, arrange regular Q&A time, take and give feedback this way.
Are you interested in using WeChat to support your online teaching? Let us start by our WeChat for Branding workshops.
Our workshop on using WeChat for teaching is on its way. Email email@example.com to register your interest.